Dublin School Board Meeting Preview for Tuesday Dec. 5, 2015
This week’s Dublin Unified School District Board of Trustees meeting agenda features the following topics (the full agenda is available here). The board meeting starts at Tuesday Dec. 5, 5:30pm, and is held at the District office (7471 Larkdale Avenue, Dublin, CA). Video from the prior Board Meeting on Nov 17 is available here.
Summary of items to be presented, discussed and/or voted on:
- School Board president Amy Miller will be recognized for her year as president and a vote will be held for the 2016 Board president and other Board positions
- Dougherty Elementary School will be recognized as a 2015 National Blue Ribbon School Award Recipient
- The District’s Arts Education / STEAM Plan will be presented for all school levels, including Arts pathway programs
- Proposed dress code policies for Wells Middle School, Fallon Middle School and Dublin High School will be introduced for a first reading, as will draft questions for a dress code survey
- An interim summary of DUSD General Fund revenues and expenditures will be presented (more details…)
- Several procedural votes will be taken related to the need for funds in support of new required school sites and the lack of state funding, including support for the proposed state-level Kindergarten through Community College Public Education Facilities Bond Act of 2016
- $7,622 in donations was received from the following donors
- $23.9M in Developer Fee expenditures in 2014-15 will be presented (from a total of $32.3M). Details available here.
- The Bay Area Quality Management District awarded green (lithium battery) landscaping equipment valued at $48,000 to the district, the first East Bay District to receive green equipment (more details…)
- Dublin High School’s baseball field repair and renovation proposal is being presented for approval as the school prepares for joining Division I leagues (more details…)
- Payments (including payroll) since the last meeting totaling $10.1M are presented for routing approval (“Because Dublin Unified School District is a fiscally dependent District, each warrant must pass through two separate audits, first by the District’s fiscal services department, and second by the County Office of Education.”). A detailed breakdown of all payments is available here.
- A student (unnamed in the agenda for privacy reasons) is being recommended for expulsion through the end of the first semester for allegedly violating the following Education Code sections. The request will be discussed in a closed session and then voted on during the public session. Student “A-16” alleged Education Code violations:
- 48915(E): “Assault or battery, as defined in Sections 240 and 242 of the Penal Code, upon any school employee.”
- 48900(a)(2): “Willfully used force or violence upon the person of another, except in self-defense.”
- 48900.4: “In addition to the grounds specified in Sections 48900 and 48900.2, a pupil enrolled in any of grades 4 to 12, inclusive, may be suspended from school or recommended for expulsion if the superintendent or the principal of the school in which the pupil is enrolled determines that the pupil has intentionally engaged in harassment, threats, or intimidation, directed against school district personnel or pupils, that is sufficiently severe or pervasive to have the actual and reasonably expected effect of materially disrupting classwork, creating substantial disorder, and invading the rights of either school personnel or pupils by creating an intimidating or hostile educational environment.”
- 48900(i): “Committed an obscene act or engaged in habitual profanity or vulgarity.”
- 48900(k): “Disrupted school activities or otherwise willfully defied the valid authority of supervisors, teachers, administrators, school officials, or other school personnel engaged in the performance of their duties.”