Dublin Pride Week 2012 – Volunteers Needed
The City of Dublin recently announced the dates for this year’s “Dublin Pride Week” event (Saturday, April 28th through Saturday, May 5th) and is seeking volunteers to assist with several activities planned for this year. Dublin Pride Week is an annual event that seeks to demonstrate ways in which individuals or groups can act to improve the community and to work to improve the world through environmental awareness and volunteerism.
In 2011, approximately 350 volunteers assisted on projects throughout the community, ranging from helping seniors with household maintenance and yard work, to elementary and middle school beautification projects, such as painting and landscape work. Additionally, volunteers participated in a number of clean up projects around the City.
“Dublin Pride Week is a great tradition that speaks to the very character of our community,” said Mayor Tim Sbranti. “This program demonstrates that, through volunteerism and environmental stewardship, residents can truly impact and make a difference in the City.”
The program encourages youth participation and hosts an annual poster contest to engage youth in the event. This year’s Dublin Pride Week posters will feature the artwork of Farhan Karuvally, a 2nd grader at Dougherty Elementary School (Dougherty was also recently named a California Distinguished School), whose artwork is titled – “Planet Dublin, Heaven is a Place on Earth.” Additionally, several faith-based groups and service organizations will assist in providing volunteers and support for the event.
Residents and groups interested in volunteering can visit the Pride Week website at www.dublinprideweek.com or call (925) 833-6650.
Dublin Pride Week 2012 Events and Activities
The following events and activities will be occurring this year throughout Pride Week:
- “Volunteer Day” – Saturday, April 28th from 8:00 am – to 12:00 noon. Volunteers are needed to help with Senior Assistance, School Beautification, Parks Beautification and Creek Cleanup projects. Volunteers will be invited to a BBQ at the Heritage Park following all volunteer activities from 12:00 noon – 1:00 pm. Docent led tours of the Dublin Heritage Park and museums will also be offered.
- Food Drive at Volunteer Day on Saturday, April 28th.
- “Water Conservation Zone Booth” at the Dublin Farmers Market opening night, Thursday, May 3, from 4-8 pm, in which residents can apply for money-saving rebates, enter a water-efficient landscape contest, and take home free, practical information on water-wise living from Dublin San Ramon Services District and Zone 7 Water Agency.
- Free Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection and Compost Give-a-Way Day, Saturday, May 5th.
- Flat Tire Repair Clinic on Saturday, May 5th from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm at the intersection of Amador Valley Boulevard and the Iron Horse Trail.
- Planet Dublin Poster & Essay Contest for students, grades K-12. Prizes include gift certificates and City Council recognition.
- Building Volunteer Hours for College Applications
- Volunteering for the Love of Animals at the East Bay SPCA
- Dublin High School Launches Academic Ambassadors Volunteer Program
- Young Citizen of the Year Aslan Brown Balances Volunteering and Academics
- Volunteering Looks Good on College Applications And Feels Good